Posted to rec.woodworking
Stonegrift

Default Automobile interior ideas needed...

Template everything. Some of those shapes you may not be able to
simply cover in a veneer. In those cases, you might make a template of
the current dash, then make one of the bare dash when you get to that
point.

Then you get to make shaped laminates. Or buy a solid piece large
enough and shape it on your own. You might end up using a combination
of steaming and laminating.

it's just an idea though

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:19:50 GMT, Knob wrote:

Hi all, I'm fixing up a 1966 Mercury Comet and am having a hard time
finding some interior parts that don't cost a fortune so just to be
different I'm thinking of doing some of the parts in
wood...specifically the dashpad, door panels and the rear window
package tray. The car is garaged and there's no kids involved so
weather damage and normal wear and tear should be minimum. The door
panels and rear package tray I dont think present much of a problem as
they're flat so it's only a matter of selecting the grain and
stain.The interior is red so I figure a dark cherry stain on the
selected grain veneer paneling should look OK and not dominate. The
problem will be with the dashpad which has curves and angles I'm not
sure how to deal with...so If anyone has any ideas on how I could
tackle this I'd love to hear from you. The existing dashpad has a
metal baseplate with mounting bolts attached and is easily removed
from the dash itself...so using this baseplate ( after removing foam
and vinyl) seems like the obvious way to attach the wood. Thanks for
any and all input........