Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default Cross Grain Glueing on Small Boxes

Tom H wrote:
MORE INFORMATION:

The top in question is 6.75 x 11.75.
The wood 1/2" is quarter sawn cherry.

"Tom H" wrote in message
et...

I haven't made many small wooden boxes (ie., Recipe Boxes, Jewelry Boxes
etc.)
I am starting a jewelry box for my daughter.
I can't see anyway of not glueing the lid top to the four lid sides
without glueing across the grain.
Can someone tell me the rule here.

Tom -- the best advice you have been given is a floating panel...

See:
2nd and third boxes
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...dernstyle.html

And this one...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...icalstyle.html

Look at the views and you will see what people mean by a floating panel...

Get the book I mentioned earlier and it will explain a "floating panel"
It will save you a lot of time -- but even a bad book on jewel box
making should have a few pictures and diagrams to make the concept clear...

Groove in the inside frame edges... Tongue on the edges of the lid -- NO
GLUE on the tongue or the groove...

Make the bottom the same way. Cut a 1/8" to a 1/4" groove in the bottom
of the four box sides -- insert the bottom panel during gluing.

The inserted panel should float (slop around a tich -- not a tad --
that's too much) -- or have a spot of glue at the middle point of the
long grain direction to direct wood movement to the edges...

All explained with diagrams in a good book -- better than most sex ed
books anyway.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art