Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chris

Default "Universal" TIG electrodes (tungstens)?

Looking at some online TIG consumable sellers web sites it seems I can buy
TIG tungstens alloyed to make a universal electrode? I am new to TIG,
having just bought a used Migatronic MTE220. I have received red and white
banded electrodes, but I now wonder if the "grey" banded ones would allow
me to weld aluminium ally, stainless steel and mild steel without buying
several types of tungstens? I will be mainly doing light work on race car
chassis and plumbing / exhausts. Gas will be pure argon, not a mix. Thanks.