Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default engineering calculation needed

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
news:43A1978C.5030906@

You'd be better off putting the stand-off just 1 foot down from the top
(i.e., at the same level as the horizontal member). This will mean that
the vertical column only has to support a compressive load. The
compressive load will be well within the capabilities of the column. It is
the bending of the long vertical column that is the major weakness in your
design. Fix this problem and the rest of the design will most likely be
fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Chris

Yes, the horizontal leg will be mounted to a beam, and be about a foot long.
Therefore, it will have a top and bottom vertical attachment pin/rod, and
two standoffs, one a foot from the top, and one about half way down. The
top foot from the horizontal to the piece is there to attach the diagonal 2"
x 1/4" flat bar leg.

I think it's going to be strong enough, but the addition of the middle
standoff leg will insure flex will be directed to a solid standoff.

We'll see.

Now I have to wait for the snow to melt and for it to warm up to pour the
SonoTube base.

Steve