Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

Default welding brass?

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
gfulton wrote:

I went to the National Welders
local shop, told them what I was trying to do, and they sold me the
correct
rods. Worked just fine after that, but you've really got to turn up the
amps as the brass was very good at conducting the heat away.

Now was this welding or brazing? Did the brass melt (and not just the
rod). I ask, because I found some brass welding rods that are also for
brazing steel.

Yes, the zinc is the problem. I just tried it with OA and both a
reducing and oxidizing flame. But, well, I won't try it again with a
stock brass rod. :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

No, these were rods for welding brass. I was trying to weld up an adapter
fitting so I could put braided steel fuel lines on my old '56 Panhead. The
rods the welding supply gave me just melted straightaway along with the
brass fitting with no more of the smoky zinc mess and contamination. I
ruined the first fitting as it was similar to aluminum in that it was hard
to tell at first when you were putting too much heat to it and it caved in
on me. Just took a little practice, but I finally made a nice weld of it.
Sorry, Nick, but I don't remember the specs on the rods. If you want, I'll
stop at the welding supply place next week and ask those guys.

Garrett Fulton