Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default GMB Union

"Joe" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The death of the docks was unavoidable, according to the union militant
Jack Dash. 'Being realistic, that had to happen, and the battle was to
ensure workers got a share of progress and change'.

Jack denies any suggestion that the militancy of the dockers during the
1960s brought about the closure of the docks. 'Yes, I've been accused of
shutting the docks, but in fact none of the docks closed until after I
had left the industry. It was changes in trade that made them close'. "
- Newham Docklands Recorder, 18 August 1988.

That isn't what he was saying at the time. I lived in Newham until 1985.

London docks being abandoned was style and type of trade. Nothing else.