Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default Plaster wall covering

wrote:
I just finished removing wallpaper from one room in my house. Now that
I'm done, though, I wonder if it really was wallpaper or...is there
something that goes over plaster?

* It had a pattern, but it was only noticeable under the outlet and
switch covers and in the corners where the paper overlapped.
* It was also on the ceiling.
* Now that the walls are bare, they're....BARE; there's no paint that
was applied to the plaster and you can see the metal corner beads
around the windows and door. If this was wallpaper it was put on when
the house was built and the walls were plastered 50 years ago.
* I'm pretty sure all of my rooms are wallpapered, or whatever this is.
But I removed an outlet cover from the hallway and the paper pattern
was different than the other room.

Did I do something bad by removing something that should be over
plaster to keep it from cracking?

Mike

No, you probably did nothing bad. The house was probably just
wallpapered when it was built rather than painted. The printed pattern
had probably faded, but didn't fade under the outlet covers or the
overlaps.

Ken