Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

Default calculating total load on fuse box

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:15:16 GMT, wrote:

On 15 Dec,
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

Anyway I don't agree with Christian - a 25 year old Wylex fusebox is
likely to be perfectly safe, assuming there's been no abuse like fitting
"uprated" fuse-wire.

Have you ever seen an unprotected wire fuse blow?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if replacing the fuse wire with a
nail was actually safer!

Cartridge fuses are another matter. They are perfectly safe and the only
reason to change one of those for a modern unit is for convenience, or if
earth leakage protection is required and it is the simplest method to
achieve this.

In some circumstances I'd prefer a fuse to an MCB. The rewirable ones are
perfectly ok in Wylex boards as long as the holder is intact and has the
correct size wire.

A 25 year old wylex can probably be upgraded to plugin MCBs quite easily.
They are available in the sheds and (cheaper) from TLC, and replace the
existing fuse and holder. The cover will require the knockouts removing as
well.

I think the MCBs are now cheaper than fuseholders (at B&Q anyway) !

--
Frank Erskine