Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default Use of chocolate block?

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm no spark so if its anything more than changing a fitting I won't touch
it.

However there was one un-switched spur beside a double socket that caused
me

a problem:

The spur was fitted with a 2 amp fuse and used to supply the extractor
hood. When the screws to the spur plate were removed there was no give in
the wiring so I could literally only pull it about 1" from the wall.
Once I disconnected it, I could see that on the feed side there were three
sets of mains cable (3 live, 3neutral) the third mains used to double
socket (must be a addition to the original installation) next to the spur.

----Aren't there 3 earths now, too? You haven't clarified this.
If none were present originally, that was a bodge.

I knew straight away that I was not going to be able to fit the new spur
due to the length of the cables not giving me any room to manoeuvre.

What I did and I'm just wanting to check that this was a legitimate thing
to do was to use a 15amp chocolate block to combine the mains cables
together (3 live into one and 3 neutral into another)

----And maybe 3 earths??

I then got some ring mains cable from homebase and used a few inches of
this to connect the chocolate blocks to the feed of the fused spur.

Is this ok?

TIA

Patrick

Use the size of choc-block barrel to accommodate comfortably four x 2.5mm2
conductors (at the most 30A), assuming there is enough space for 3 of these
inside the back box. Ways can be segregated to suit. Machine screws must be
tight.
Jim