Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Default House Lights Flickering?

The Wanderer wrote:

[R-Y-B-B-Y-R phase order]
On a housing estate, yes - in theory.

What's the logic in doing it that way, rather than R-Y-B-R-Y-B?

Unfortunately what the planners put on the service plans weren't
always how the cable jointers connected them.

No surprise there.

On older overhead systems, there are more houses connected to B phase, coz
it's at the bottom just above the neutral, so the linesman doesn't have to
reach up quite so far......

.... and doesn't have to reach across the other live phases, I guess.
Sounds to me like a healthy self-preservation instinct on their part.
Sod the balance...

Now, is the supply industry going to start calling its phases BRN, BLK &
GRY in line with the new wiring colours, or will they stick resolutely
to R, Y & B?

--
Andy