Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David Maynard

Default The truth about OS/2!!! [ Why aren't computer clocks as accurateas cheap quartz watches?]

Gary H wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

Gary H wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

Gary H wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

Gary H wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Those of us who were there are not deceived by revisionist
histories.
In those days, it was big bad IBM versus tiny helpless
Microsoft, not
the other way around. Microsoft didn't (and couldn't) twist IBM's
arm.

Ya know, all this really isn't about Bill Gates or Microsoft Per
Se. It's about the greed factor and the power factor and the
control factor. The desire for absolute power and to corrupt
absolutely . The sort of thing that rears its ugly head
virtually every single day of our lives. Like Enron, Hollinger
international and on and on.

With Microsoft, like many others it *is* about greed and power.

With the oil industry, it *is* about greed and power.
For example, I live in the north-eastern part of this north
American continent. In the summertime, the price of gas goes
sky-high because of the demand and heating oil drops and in the
wintertime the price of heating fuel goes sky-high because of
demand and gas drops. The immediate response or belief drilled
into the general public is that there is a shortage of oil. There
is NOT.
There is plenty of oil. I know, because where I live, we are net
exporters of oil.

Super. But unless you can demonstrate your area's exports are
enough to power the planet that little factiod means nothing about
the state of the world's oil supply.

Overly simplistic bull****.

Your claim wasn't just overly simplistic it was fundamentally flawed
logic.

It's all of the sources worldwide that supplies the planet

Which is why your logic had no sense to it.

and there is plenty at the moment.

You've not provided any evidence of it.

It will eventually run out, so I guess the oil guys figure they'll
get their money now, while the gettin' is good..

But sane, rational, 'good guy' you would wait till there isn't any?

You don't notice a teensy flaw in your business plan?

The problem is that with the increased demand, nobody is
building extra refining capacity. Especially those who *control*
the industry. You know, the Exxons, Shell, and so on.

They haven't built new refineries in a coon's age because they
can't get permits as environmentalists have essentially blocked
every technologically feasible source of new energy production.

Again, overly simplistic bull****.

Just the facts, mam.

It's gotten to the point where these *******s are driving the
crap out of a barrel of oil because (get this) they're expecting
a friggin' snow storm in the north-east of the continent.

Wouldn't be so bad if you folks up there would ever let them build
a bloody pipeline too but, nooooooo. So when it's socked in every
other means of transport is cut off and you're stuck with whatever
local supplies have been pre stocked.

Again, over simplistic. It's not that building a pipeline is not
permitted, it that it's not permitted to build it the *way* you
guys want to do it.

Metal tube in the ground. You got some other kind?

Stupid a**hole. The pipeline would be over a coupla thousand miles
of Tundra. Do you know what that is?

Sure, I know what it is. I do not, however, know where the hell you're
located so get off you self indulgent high horse.

I doubt it. Why let factual information get in the way. You cannot
bury pipe in perma-frost. Also, when run on the surface, migration
paths for caribou and other migratory species *must* be considered.
The route chosen by our government, which would have addressed all
those concerns was too costly and too much trouble for administrators
of the US oil industry so, they wouldn't build it. So, screw ya, do
without it.

Typical whiner. Can't do this. Can't do that. Then blame it on someone
else.

Good gawd a'mighty, what the hell are you on about. There's no blame
being placed on anyone.

Why is it that some people think that denying what they do in the very next
sentence is a 'logical' argument?

It's strictly the US government and US oil interests who are whining,
because they can't get their own way in implementing a pipeline from
Alaska (that's US territory) through Canada (that's our territory).
They want to do it cheap and dirty and consequently, go about f**king up
some other country's environment like they've done with their own.
Canada says no, meet these criteria or forget it. Don't you think the
US would do the same if things were reversed??

I've already seen how it can bes done cooperatively and with extensive
environmental 'considerations', as you call it, with the existing Alyeska
pipeline so your claims do not jibe with reality.

If your government is going to decide everything then why don't you
folks build it your own blessed selves?

Of course we decide everything in this case, It's still our country. I
suppose it is? I haven't looked at Dubbya's latest moves yet today.
You *do* understand that Canada is not part of the US I assume?

When attempting to work with someone else it's never 'all' one or the other
and that you seem to think so is likely one of the problems.

We don't need to build it. We don't want to build it. We have no
reason to build it. We have enough oil, we don't need any more.
Besides, it's US oil, not Canadian oil. Already told you that a number
of times as well. It's US oil coming from a US State and Canada
*happens* to be in the way.

Thanks for being a good neighbor.

We *do* have environmental protection rules up this way, and where
we have them, we apply them.

Good for you. So stop whining about the costs they impose.

Ha, how many times do you have to be told that is not where the costs
come from. The costs are fixed by the New York Stock Exchange and
Futures Buyers. Jeeze, you *can't possibly* be that dumb and unaware of
the world around you. Haven't you noticed statements like "The price of
oil for delivery in February will be ....", for example or, the price of
oil was up on the NYSE today due to "profit taking" (like that excuses
it). How in the hell does anyone *know* what the situation is gonna be
in February? Nobody knows what it will be like next friggin' week for
chrissake.

Supply and demand.

Not whining about that part. Whining because the goddam crowd of
thieves on Wall St are the cause of these increases.

Yeah, it's all a 'plot' just to get you.

Not a plot, just plain GREED, as I've said a number of times already.
Why do you always have to try and read in something that is not there?
Really don't feel too secure in your argument or what??

Just that I understand supply and demand in a world market.

And you wonder why you sound like a conspiracy buff or paranoid.

Keeerist, you're sure hung up on the psychological babble talk. Find
another angle, this one is wearing thin.

Well, yes, your insistence on using it is getting rather old.