Trevor Jones

Default What oil do I use to 'Temper' steel?

Jon Weaver wrote:

It seems that there is much more to this than I thought, but what you
describe is EXACTLY what I am trying to do.

I often 'grind' a tool, but once its ground, its lost its 'hardness'.
I wondered if there was a simple process to restore its 'harness' a
little.

In light of the complexity of this process, I probably won't bother..
But, if its not too much trouble, I would be very interested in
hearing about what is involved!

All the best

Jon

You might want to look for one of the slow turning, wet wheel type,
sharpening grinders. That would seem the easyest anwer to overheating
your cutting tools when sharpning.

Cheers
Trevor Jones