Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

Default House Lights Flickering?

On 13 Dec 2005 10:58:06 -0800, StudioTwo wrote:

Hello,

The past few weeks I have become aware of the house lights flickering
very slightly. I'm pretty certain it is not my eyes / imagination as it
is not something I have ever noticed in other buildings.

The effect is VERY slight but regular (approx 40 times per minute). It
is something I am aware of from time to time (so who is to say whether
it is intermitted or I just don't notice it). As i said, the effect is
very slight and it applies to lightling plugged into the mains sockets
as well as ceiling lights.

I have checked with my neighbours, but they have not noticed any
problem. Is this something that can be easily detected with the proper
equipment?

Do you have anybody around into repairing old bangers, possibly using a
plug-in welder. They can be notorious culprits for causing flicker,
especially if the distribution system is in a rather strung-out rural
location.

Another possibility, are there any water extraction boreholes around?

Others have already told you to contact the local electricity company. Do
so, and don't be fobbed off. The first reaction you'll get is probably 'Oh
that's within limits' or similar. Tell tham it's a very perceptible
flicker.

The electricity company have a duty to provide you with a relatively clean
supply, and if it turns out to be some process in nearby workshop units,
they'll follow it up, but any help you can give them will speed things up.
Keep a log over a few days detailing the *exact* times the lights start and
stop flickering. Times can help in tracking down any intermittent processes
elsewhere that may be causing the problem. Also do a little detective work
yourself. If you're in a wholly residential area there's unlikely to be
anything obvious, but if you live near workshops, industrial units, it's
worth doing a little discrete snooping, see if you can find out what they
do.

Having said all of that, if the problem turns out to be with your
installation, they'll charge you for determing that. You have checked your
own electrical installation?

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net