Stanley Baer

Default What is the future of manufacturing?

Hi

This is topic that I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. I
design custom automated machines. In Southern Ontario where I live, I
would say 90% of manufacturing is somehow tied to the auto industry.
Although the Japanese car companies may assemble their cars in North
America, their plants create much fewer spin off jobs due to the fact
that most of the high value components such as the engine and
transmission come complete from overseas.

I can't blame the consumer for buying Japanese cars even though its
damaging their own economy because the North American car industry does
not even seem to be trying to compete in several important categories.
If you want a small fuel efficient car that is not loaded with useless
features you pretty well have to buy an import. If you want a car with
a diesel engine VW is your only choice. Why can't Detroit design a
small car that looks as good as an VW Jetta, why does the Toyota Matrix
look cool while the Pontiac Vibe look like a dogs breakfast when they
are pretty much the same car. Detroit is certainly not taking the long
view when all they try to push is gas guzzling pickups and SUVs.

stan