Jack Erbes

Default What oil do I use to 'Temper' steel?

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:16:59 -0400, Gary Coffman
wrote:

snip
OTOH, if the steel is W1, you'd have to heat it a bit hotter,
quench it in *water*, and draw the temper at about 575
degrees. If it were A1, then you'd have to let it air cool.
Quenching in either water or oil would cause it to crack.

W-1 is quenched in brine, not water. The brine can be made by
dissolving as much salt as the amount of water you are using will
take.

For oil quenching smaller/thinner pieces of steel I have thinned
regular (non-detergent usually) motor oils with kerosene (up to maybe
33 to 50 percent kero) in order to get more immediate contact and
better convection when the part is plunged in the oil.

There is some risk of a flame or flare up with quenching oils, work
safely.