Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are all thermocouples created equal?

I have a trailer house furnace and the thermocouple apparently is
going bad because the pilot goes out once every week or two. It just
started doing that this fall, after the pilot was off all summer.
I was at a local building supply and saw they sell a packaged
thermocouple, but it does not specify what its for. Are all
thermocouples created equal? I mean, can they be used for ANY
furnace, or water heater, or any gas appliance? I am hoping so,
because I dont know where I'd get one specific to this older Miller
(mobile home) furnace.

PS. If I could figure out how, I'd convert it to electronic ignition,
but that seems like a big job.

Thanks