Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Logan Shaw

Default prog. therm. and heat pump questions

John P.. Bengi wrote:
Why would anybody ever install a heat pump system?

Another friend of mine's heat pump just bit the dust
here at -20C. Going to take weeks to get a part for it.
Pretty expensive portable electric heating going on in
that house right now.

Where I live, according to weatherbase.com, the lowest temperature
ever recorded in the last 48 years is -18C (-2F). In an average
year, there are only 19 days when it even dips below 0C (32F).
Our average snowfall each year is 0.9 inches.

So, here, heat pumps wouldn't have cold temps to deal with. On the
other hand, plain old resistive heat is really not that expensive,
so heat pumps might not even be worth it.

- Logan