Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

Default Removing black mildew from tile grout/caulk in shower

wrote in message
oups.com...

Stores only seem to carry products for soap scum & hard water (lime
away, CLR, etc).

I use one of two Tilex products, available in grocery and large drug stores.
One is a foaming deep cleaning type, and the other is a liquid mold/mildew
spray. They are both based on bleach, and they have nozzles and parts that
dont seize up easily. I spray it on and leave it a few hours, then rinse it
off. If the stuff is really bad, you can use an old toothbrush to brush in
the liquid, then let it sit awhile.
I mostly use the clear spray. I know it is much more expensive than bleach,
but it is so handy.
I find that once the work is done, the mildew is very slow to return if I
sponge off the walls, tub edge, and tub floor and leave the curtain open
after taking a shower. Got to get that air circulating to fight mold.