Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Scratched Granite

Roger Taylor wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:3YVnf.12356$Jz6.5585@trnddc06...

No, onyx is a chalcedony which is a form of quartz. Specifically, a
cryptocrystalline form like flint. It is not soft.

DadiOH, you are so right.
I was thinking of the stuff in my neighbor's shower, which is mexican
onyx, a calcite rock.

What he has is most likely travertine, That's calcareous and is very
commonly used in bathrooms both in Mexico and the US.

However, there is lots of Mexican onyx too and some looks very similar
to the travertine color wise. Most comes from around Puebla and is
often made into dining tables and the like. I covet one

"Real" or conventional onyx is indeed chalcedony, which should resist
scratching right up there near granite......

Actually, it resists scratching better since it is pure quartz and
granitic rocks aren't.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...