Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

Default Wand turning

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Owen, I don't know how you do it but it's a little easier if you make the
handle one part and then make the pointy stick end another part, rather
than trying to make the whole thing a one piece turning.
Also using different woods for some nice color combination and/or
contrast.

Actually, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I got it down to about a
minimum of 3/8" thick by 1' or less, but after that I get a lot of catches.
I'm not willing to blame my lathe entirely, but it vibrates a lot. My tools
are as sharp as I can make them. I think I'll ask if I can try it on a
friend's lathe to see if it makes any difference. It got to the point where
I gave up pending building a steady. I don't know if I could make a
trapping plane that would work any good, but that's a new idea to me (thanks
Andy).

- Owen -