Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Default Metal Building vs. Framed Workshop

"MrAnderson" writes:

It always suprises me, the low construction quotes you hear on the web.
I'm finishing up on building a 24 x 36 barn workshop with crawlspace
and full loft. I'm not finished and I'm reaching the $40,000 mark.
$25 / foot. Most materials were bought pre-katrina.

I am also amazed by low construction price quotes I hear on the web.

I am building a shop exactly the same size as yours with attic trusses for
loft storage. I am figuring $35,000 to $37,000 with a lot of DIY. I am
planning on seamless steel siding that adds about $5,000 to the cost.

I haven't seen much change in building materials prices post-katrina. I
have seen prices go up 15% to 25% in the last five years or so.

Brian Elfert