Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default Cross Grain Glueing on Small Boxes

robo hippy wrote:

Like Leo said, make a floating panel out of both the top and
bottom. If you have a bandsaw, you can make the top and bottom
match. I usually leave about 1/16 inch gap to account for wood
movement across the cross grain, and less than that for long
grain. For panels around 16 inches, I will leave 1/8 inch.
robo hippy

I have a question for you. You say that in this instance you would be
concerned about cross-grain gluing and would recommend a floating
panel. Fair enough.

Let's assume that if the jewlery box were 1" square, you would NOT
make a floating panel and just glue the top on. Given that, it stands
to reason that somewhere between 9" or so and 1", is your belief that
cross-grain gluing ceases to be a problem.

Can you tell me where that point is? At what length do you believe it
ceases to become a problem as a practical matter?

Joe Barta