Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood

Default Tinting Expoy

"K & C Hunter" wrote in message
Hi All

Looking for advice on what I could use to tint epoxy resin to a black (or

at
least, a very dark) colour. I am facinataed by fine small boxes and I

want
to try different infill or inlay materials. One aplication is to infill
with irregularly shaped small twigs embedded in epoxy, all sanded flush to
top of a bix lid. For contrast, a dark colourred epoxy would look best

IMO.

Any ideas/experience with tinting epoxy?

Thanks

Ken

If you want to tint small quantities, I have used laser printer toner. Just
get an old used up cartridge and open it. You will find enough to tint
quite a bit of epoxy just from what is left in a cartridge. I have also
tinted epoxy using the chalk that is used for chalk snap lines. You can
find it in blue, red, yellow, and I think I have seen black. A little goes
a long way, at least for the black toner. You can also buy tint especially
for epoxy, but if you are like me you just need a little bit. I have also
seen artist paints used to tint epoxy as part of a woodturning demo, but I
don't remember the details enough to help you. None of this would I
recommend if the epoxy is structural, but for filling and inlays it won't
affect the epoxy in any noticeable way.

--
********
Bill Pounds