Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

Default GMB Union

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

In 1963 Felixstowe was a fishing village

Was it? A population of 17440 is hardly a village and on the few
occasions I visited in the 50s the only boats I can recall seeing in the
dinky little harbour was a clutch of RAF launches. The RAF station would
probably have closed by 1963 but it was still open in the late 50s. I
can remember a helicopter that crashed just offshore being recovered by
road around that time.

If there were any fishing boats sailing out of Felixstowe it would only
have been the odd one or two. The vast majority of the workers who lived
in Felixstowe would have been gainfully employed doing something other
than fishing.

--
Roger Chapman