Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Landscape lighting bulbs burn out prematurely

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
: Ike wrote:
:
: We have Malibu landscape lighting and the bulbs burn out
after only
: about two months of service. They are very bright compared to
my
: neighbor's Malibu lights and he only replaces bulbs about
once a year.
: When the landscapers installed our lights they did not use
the wiring
: that came with the set. Instead, they used their own wiring
which is a
: much larger gauge resulting in less voltage drop by the time
the
: current reaches the lights. I am sure they thought they were
doing me
: a favor, but their generosity appears to have worked against
the life
: of the bulbs. Is there a simple solution to drop the voltage
enough so
: these bulbs don't burn so hot? Would a standard light dimmer
for 120
: VAC work to adjust the 12 VDC voltage?
:
: If you happen to have another transformer with a 120 volt
primary and a
: 12 or 24 volt secondary lying around you could wire it up as an
: autotransformer to subtract 12 or 24 volts from the 120 volt
line and
: use that reduced voltage as the supply voltage to the
transformer
: feeding the lights.
:
: The added transformer's secondary current rating has to be at
least as
: large as the primary current the exixting transformer draws of
course.
:
: Jeff

Where the hell did you go to school? There was no course on
common sense or safety, was there? Or, umm, more likely you're
"self" taught? Keep learning!

:
: --
: Jeffry Wisnia
:
: (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
:
: "Truth exists; only falsehood has to be invented."