Posted to alt.home.repair
Sonbo

Default does a failed foundation violate any codes ?

We looked at the sample, and signed the lease prior to the previous tenant
moving out, just like everybody else does.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sonbo wrote:
Sorry I should have included more info

Correct.

Just rented an apartment , bottom floor in a two story building. the
foundation,which is raised, has failed,
apparently some time ago. the floors lean and squeak and when the

neighbors
above walk it sounds like the ceiling is going to cave in. there is also
extensive visible repairs all over the ceiling, mostly seems and pops

and
the cosmetic repairs that have been done around the doors are starting

crack.

My questions are
What is the technical term for this, is it under collapse ?

Old House Disease., and no.

Does this condition violate any building codes ?

Not from what you described.

Should I be concerned about the ceiling coming down ?

Probably not. It sounds like the landlord isn't looking for perfection
and you are. There are visible repairs, floors squeak and lean... Has
the condition changed from the time when you first viewed the place and
agreed to rent it? No? If you saw the place and accepted it, I don't
see that you have a leg to stand on. It's not like the toilet
constantly overflows or you have no heat. Trying to backend an
agreement is **** poor planning on your part.

As far as the noise from the tenants upstairs, that's what happens when
you live on a lower floor.

Just want to have my facts straight when I confront the landlord.

Planning on a confrontational encounter? I'm sure it will be, if
that's what you want. Do you think that's a good way to approach it?