Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default Drilling: MDF vs Other Woods

Hmmm, Drilling seems to be your business, I'm surprised you'd ask here
before actually trying it.

Experience is learning from your own mistakes. _Wisdom_, is learning
from the mistakes of others. He's just showing he's capable of wisdom.

We make drills. We don't do drilling often - except to test materials where
we want to sell drills. If I can learn before I sell, I can sell without
delay.

We have sold lots of units for MDF and similar materials... However, we
have never once received a sample to try ourselves. I simply build my
machines with a large margin of capability that way I know it will work in
the field.

30 years from now, I want someone to say, "I wonder if we will ever have to
rebuild that unit" rather than "What was that piece of junk we bought back
in 2005?" LOL.

Thank you all for the information you provided. It basically confirmed a
lot of what I had guessed about the material. It is easy to work with but
needs to be drilled "cleanly" or the ID edges can be affected. It is also
very dry so through the tool air flow could possibly be used to clear the
"chips" as well...

Merry Christmachanukwanzika to everyone. And a simple happy holidays to the
rest of you.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022