Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default welding brass?

David Billington wrote:
I've tried TIG on brass with limited success and went to soft soldering.
Than main issue was not Pb but Zn. When the brass gets hot enough to
melt you tend to get zinc burning out producing white zinc oxide which
is not good. Probably a better place to ask this question is on
sci.engr.joining.welding. It may be possible to TIG it with an
appropriate rod that melts lower than the brass so you are brazing it
rather than welding. I think this question has come up before and Ernie
has responded with useful info.

I've torch-brazed a few HEAVY brass pieces and had good success with it.
This was a tank with a 1/4" brass bottom and .062 walls. I didn't
have my TIG at the time, but will have to try it the next time such a
job comes up. I have some low-temp brazing rod that melts at a low
enough temp that melting the brass is not a problem.

Jon