Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NB-making small things on big machines

Longtime woodworker now developing another addiction-need some
lathe/mill (separate machines) advice. I would like to be able to make
some train parts for an HO train set at the small end of my projects,
and figure lawnmower engine parts, other machines, etc. for bigger end.

Is there any reason why I could not make such small parts on say a
12x36 lathe?

Thanks for your help.

ps love all the stories here of people moving car-weight machines with
pipes, wood, and metal bars,especially the guy doing it in the leg
cast. Reminds me of the time I roto-tilled my yard 3 days after hernia
surgery and decided it would be a good idea to remove the
runaway-prevention bar at the back.