Leo Lichtman

Default Formula for spring constant?

Will Self wrote: (clip) does anyone have a formula for the spring constant
(clip)
I don't have a formula, and I don't even know where to look for it, but, if
no one else provides one, I can suggest a way of deriving it. A coil spring
is just a torsional spring wound into a helix, to make it more compact. So,
if you think of your wire as a torsional spring, you can calculate how many
degrees of rotation it will take to close it a certain amount. Then apply
the formula for torque vs angular rotation (which I haven't looked up
either.)