Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair
Arno Wagner

Default WD External hard disk failure...

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Jay wrote:
Peter,

The adapter I have can be customized to different input volts and
different outputs with a variety of heads (pins). Like in the sense if
I want to use it to charge my camera, I just need to set the right
input/output combination and change the head of the pin which matches
to the camera input. But everytime you have check the polarity, and
accordingly set it in the adapter head.

Well, I have to say that not protecting the device physically
is an accident waiting to happen. Likely the drive and the other
circuitry is all fried.

The data is valuable to me, lots of my previous work files and I dont
have a backup for all of them.

I think the only way of salvaging anything here is that you learn
a lesson or two. The data will be very expensive to get back and there
is nothing you can do yourself.

So he

1) Do backups of all important data.
2) Do not build circuits that can be killed by a simple error
in handling.
3) Do not give things that can be killed by a simple error to
other people.

Sorry, but I think that you got what you deserved for a dangerous
design and careless handling of valuable data.

Arno