Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Default welding brass?

I've tried TIG on brass with limited success and went to soft soldering.
Than main issue was not Pb but Zn. When the brass gets hot enough to
melt you tend to get zinc burning out producing white zinc oxide which
is not good. Probably a better place to ask this question is on
sci.engr.joining.welding. It may be possible to TIG it with an
appropriate rod that melts lower than the brass so you are brazing it
rather than welding. I think this question has come up before and Ernie
has responded with useful info.

Nick Müller wrote:

Hi

I might have to do that: Weld some (hopefully many) brass cases for RF
shielding.
Now I could do that with OA or a TIG. I would have to lend that TIG (DC
only).

But I have never welded brass before. Neither with OA nor TIG. Is that
difficult (not a welding newbie at all). Can I simply use some brass
rod? Or will the Pb in it (most have) make problems?

The case will be 200 * 100 * 80 mm and 5mm thick. I fear it is more a
heat sink than a piece of cake. How much amps would be enough for TIGing
(if that is the way to go)?

Yes, I will make the prototype it with silver soldering, but I guess it
won't be much fun (regarding the size and the pieces fixing and falling
apart. All that with tight tolerances).

Nick