Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Austin Shackles

Default Colchester Student Mk 1 - some questions

On or around 14 Dec 2005 06:34:01 -0800, "Bugs"
enlightened us thusly:

Why would you want to make LH threads by reversing the lathe? You just
reverse the feed and cut left to right, at least that's how I do it.
Bugs

if you read the original post more closely, I was using an LH die in a
dieholder in the tailstock chuck. This is an 8M1.25 thread on an 8mm bar.

I agree that in general it should be possible to cut LH threads as you
describe, with a suitable tool or chaser, but I doubt it'd be easy to get a
decent result on the 8mm bar.

for cutting threads on a large job, I'd do it as you describe.
If all be true that I do think, There are five reasons we should drink;
Good wine, a friend, or being dry, Or lest we should be by and by;
Or any other reason why. - Henry Aldrich (1647 - 1710)