Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Austin Shackles

Default Colchester Student Mk 1 - some questions

On or around Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:00:34 -0600, Mike Berger
enlightened us thusly:

They came with both 3-phase and single phase motors, but since the
Student MK I was intended for home/small shop use 3 HP sounds pretty
big.

the 1.5 on it won't actually run it at maximum (1200) speed. Not enough
starting torque to accelerate it. It also won't start at speeds over 500
until it's been running for a while and has gotten warm. Long term, I want
a 3HP motor and a bigger starter switch - this one has an 8.summat amp
cutout, which is fine once running but if you try to start it from cold in
too high a gear it cuts out before it's up to speed.
In Touch: Get in touch with yourself by touching yourself.
If somebody is watching, stop touching yourself.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.