Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default WD External hard disk failure...

Jay wrote:
I have a Western Digital 160 GB External USB 2.0 HDD (Model #
WD1600B008-RNN). It was working well and good and suddenly it stopped
working when I wasnt around. My brother was using it and he says he may
have changed the polarity for the DC input. I had a DC adapter which
can accomodate multiple heads. I changed it to right polarity and
switched it on.

When I switch it on, both the green and red lights are always lit, PC
identifies that there is a USB device connected, but it cannot "see"
the Ext HDD. Windows Drive Information did not list this drive.

I tried with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows program that lets
the PC to identify the drives but the drive did not show up. I tested
the input power cable and it is working.

I suspect there is a board failure as the DC polarity was mixed up.
Since I dont work much on storage hardware, I suspect that there should
be a control mechanism/fise which may prevent the board/hard drive from
being fried.

So what would be the next logical step for trouble shooting ??

I really appreciate your help on this!

Thanks very much!!

Remove the drive from the case and connect it directly to a PC via the
normal IDE interface and see if it works. If you're lucky, you may have
only had the USB adapter get cooked. If the drive is still dead, look
around the circuit board for a diode near the power connector, I've
fixed a couple drives that got plugged in wrong by replacing that.