Trevor Jones

Default OT-The End is Nigh

andy asberry wrote:

Many years ago, down the street from my shop, an over-zealous
motorcycle cop would set up a speed trap. He would park his bike on
the side street and hide behind the end of a privacy fence. As traffic
approached, this Magnum Force wannabe would jump out with his radar
gun in a squatting two-hand stance.

The first time it happened to me I got a major shot of adrenalin. I
was proud of my ability to quickly determine friend or foe. But after
some thought, I decided I had been slow. I should have ducked down
behind the dash, maybe veered off the road and possibly run over him
bike and all. I believe I could have argued that successfully before a
jury.

IIRC Road and Track magazine printed a report of something similar
taking place about 20 years back.

A guy is cruising along at a pretty good pace in his Delta 88 and a
State trooper jumps out from behind a billboard with a radar gun
leveled. The guy dove under the dash and ran the "gunman" over. The
judge thought his actions were reasonable, given the circumstances.

So said the article, anyway.

Cheers
Trevor Jones