Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Default Boiler Maintenance

wrote:

The glass water gauge on my boiler is so dirty, i cant tell how much
water is in the boiler. I have been told i need to remove it, clean it
and replace. I have a good idea of how to do it, but need advice from
an expert. Do i simply shut off the two valves on the gauge (one at
the top and one at the bottom) remove it and clean. Is there any thing
else i need to worry about, or any trick to doing this successfully?

Just replace it. You'll want a spare on hand anyway, just in case, so
you might as well install it rather than reinstalling the old one. They
aren't that expensive. Over-tightening is what you want most to guard
against. You may need new packing so have some of that on hand as well.
I prefer the teflon rope.

hvacrmedic