Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

Default RCA F36665 PIP Board Source (was clicking sound at power-up, no picture)

On 13 Dec 2005 14:24:24 -0800, "Skew" wrote:

It took me this long to take a better look at the TV. The flyback
transformer is fine, if I pull the pip board I get the menu on the
screen. I reset the pip board and things seemed to be working fine,
but after a few hours it was back to the clicking problem I originally
had.

Another site suggested some cold solder joints, but I'm not seeing them
or finding them with a meter. I could start replacing a few suggested
components, but it's not quite obvious that one of them has failed.
Anyone have a suggestion on where I could buy a replacement board (RCA
model F36665)?

Pull the PIP board out and there is very tiny fine crack in solder
joint at one surface mount resistor out of two resistors voltage
divider. This two resistor is responsible for trimming voltage output
for the LM317 adjustable regulator mounted on small steel heatsink.
Lose that and regulator cuts output and hangs the data bus causing the
TV to do 3 strike and out thing. Regulator supplies 3.3V for the PIP
IC.

The correct part name for this board according to Thomson is F2PIP.

Resolder this two small resistors. This will fix yours for SURE.
Keep us updated! The solder crack is very fine and need strong
magnifying glass to see it. Near one corner right besides the
regulator on solder side.

Cheers, Wizard