Posted to alt.electronics
Lacy

Default Help with IR LED Strobe

"Frank" wrote in message
I have been trying to build an Infrared strobe. I have been able to make
the
diodes flash off and on using a 555 timer circuit. But I can not make them
strobe....I'm missing something here ????
What do I need to do to make the IR diodes STROBE BRIGHTLY not just turn
off
and on ( I use Night vision equipment to see them). I purchased a real IR
Strobe (40 dollars) but its encased and I can't determine how
they made it strobe very brightly with just 3 diodes and a 9v battery. I'm
sure I need to hit the diodes with either a much larger voltage than
normal
or something...
Any help would be great.

thanks
Frank

If you need to use that many diodes, you might consider driving them from
a transistor instead of directly off the timer. It may be a case of the
timer not delivering enough current to drive the diodes (this could be why
they are dim). To make them flash faster you need to calculate the
components r1, r2, and c1 for a higher frequency. .