Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Default Chinese Oak plywood at Home Despot???

Kevin L. Bowling wrote:
It's about 40 bucks US a sheet for 3/4". Has anybody used any of this? It
doesn't appear to be oak core. I'm a bit fearful of it because I used some
Chinese plywood (not oak, not sure what it was) on a job last year and when
the finish (latex paint) went on the veneer got quite a few bubbles in it
(i.e. came delaminated in places) I'll probably go ahead and pay the higher
price for the stuff I know is good just wondered what you'all think.

Kevin,
I'm in the process of building gear boxes for boy scouts out of the
stuff. I've cut 4 sheets into pieces 15 X 30. Of course the thickness
is a little shy, but you knew that. I had a couple of places where the
oak veneer delaminated for about 1" or so at the cut line. I dealt
with it by squirting some glue under the veneer and clamping it back
down. Also, there are some pretty noticable stripes of darker colored
wood on the face sometimes. It works for gear boxes, but I wouldn't
make anything nice out of it.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."