Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Default Chinese Oak plywood at Home Despot???

Leon,

I know you asked Swingman but for what it's worth, I have the 6" Jet
w/enclosed base and I have done up to 7' long pieces that I used to make a
table top from. Key to success is consistent pressure and speed and
"getting into it". Once you start, you'll get a feel of how you're doing. If
it feels awkward - then you're probably doing something wrong. It should
feel comfortable and you should be able to push the stock thru the blades in
a nice - fluid like motion.

Yes, you need to practice first to get the feel so take an old 2x4 and use
that. When you feel comfortable doing it - then move on to the good stuff.
I'm only 5'4" and if I can hold 5-1/2" wide piece of Ash, 5/4 thick and 7'
long down on the infeed and outfeed tables - just about anyone should be
able to with practice. I tried using roller stands and they caused more
problems than I was willing to deal with. Hold the board firmly down on the
infeed side just in front of the knives and feed the stock thru. Hand over
hand until about 12" has passed over the knives. Now move the left hand
(w/protector) to the outfeed table side and keep the movement going. The
right hand keeps light but firm pressure on the stock with the left hand
supplying 90% of downward pressure and the right hand supplying the
horizontal push. Once the right hand passes over the blades (remember it has
only 10% of the downward pressure) and is over the outfeed side - apply
pressure. Keep both hands on the outfeed side with sufficient pressure to
hold the board flat to the outfeed table going hand-over-hand. You'll soon
"get into it" - trust me. Turn on some country and enjoy the day.
Harder to describe than actually do it but with practice, you'll see if your
pressure and speed is right by the surface you get.

Be sure everything is aligned and blades are sharp. I have done pieces
longer than 8' but they were stock for moldings so no great weight and no
need for perfection since they were going thru the router anyway. The
weight of the stock will determine how difficult it will be to do a long
piece.

This may help
http://woodmagazine.com/wood/story.j...ml&catref=wd21
but it's not the link I was looking for which had an animation on how to
feed stock thru a jointer.

Bob S.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

Swingman,

Totally off the subject. I know you have a PM jointer, is it a 6 or 8"
er? And how long of a board can you plane flat and/or straighten decently?