Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

Default Jack Plane Flattness. How flat should it be?

On 13 Dec 2005 14:15:52 -0800, "djs" wrote:

I am looking for some advise on how close to flat a 14 inch jack plane
should be.

SNIP

IMHO as a scrub lane it'll do OK to hog out wood. As a jointer or
smoother, I'd want no twist and a flatter sole (.005). There are
those that will say .001, but I'm just not that good with a plane
yet.

If it's new, take it back because of the twist. That is not
acceptable. Flattening the sole for the hollow is not a major job if
you don't mind pushing it on sheets of 60, 120, 150, 240, 400 grit
glued to a hunk of MDF. Probably an hour's work.

Regards.