Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Default House Lights Flickering?

sheba wrote:
If it was a Philips energy saving 18w light bulb like the ones being

sold by
Morrisons a few months ago then I would understand. Philips have admitted
there is an electrical problem with the bulbs but have NOT recalled them,
but will send replacements to anyone who bought them - providing you
complain! They wouldn't tell people there is a safety problem concerning
the electrical starter circuitry.

B*(locks

It causes the light to be activated by
tiny currents flowing between neutral and earth.

Sigh... This paranoia appeared in another newsgroup posting. Been
debunked quite successfully by many posters.

1. When has a lamp ever had an earth connection?
2. When has capacitive coupling ever been a source of potential combustion?

So if you bought a Philips
18w energy saving bulb, contact them via the website and provide details of
what is on the box such as a barcode.

It's a shame Philips sold them all off cheap via supermarkets rather than
recalling lights which in my opinion are a fire hazard. If they were not
and there was no problem, they wouldn't have sent me new ones.

No, they replaced it because they didn't want to be bothered trying to
convince you otherwise.....

--
Adrian C