IMM

Default Solar space heating idea

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

Lots have happened in 25 years. Do a Goggle on sun trackers. There are
some off the shelf versions from the USA.

The point I think I was making was that they tend to get the best/most
efficient stuff at CAT eventually, and will try (almost) anything in the
meantime. Unless something's happened since I was last there, the only
sun tracker is this 25 year old thing. If they were so good (in this
climate perhaps) then *surely* CAT would have installed a couple more
up to date versions? I can understand how they might fractionally
increase the efficiency of a system where direct sunlight is the norm,
but where diffuse light is the norm (i.e. here) where do you aim your
device? On top of that you've the extra mechanicals to maintain, and the
extra energy required to cause the thing to track.

Trackers have been fixed on sphere that contain the water. they swivel
around the ball while focusing the intense suns rays.

I understand that steam engines have high torque - but as far as I
understand it, a Stirling engine is *not* a steam engine, though I
suppose steam could be used as the heat source.

I never actually said a Stirling was steam engine. It is a "heat" engine.
There are many variations of the Stirling sing differeing gasses to expand.
It has in common with "piston" steam engine: eternal combustion (very eco)
and a heat and cooling source.

Unlike a steam engine, the cylinder is sealed.

I most yes. the early versions (1830ish) were not. There is also a rotary
(wankle type) of Stirling engine.

Unlike a steam engine, the "working piston" isn't actually *in* the
cylinder, it is merely attached to it. In models it is often a sheet of
rubber, though I see no reason why a piston shouldn't be used.

Virtually all usable Stirling's have a piston in cylinder arrangement.

Unlike a (modern) steam engine, the
working fluid in the cylinder (air)
must be heated *and* cooled in order
to complete one full cycle.

The working fluid can be air, but the more efficient versions uses various
more efficient gasses.

Can you post me some web references
to the Stirling steam engine?

http://www.stirlinginfo.com/

I'm very interested in the technology since
coming across that boiler which
uses a Stirling engine on the exhaust to
generate electricity.

Not available yet.

One thing
I don't quite understand about that
thing though is whether it'd
actually get much use in a modern
highly insulated house :-)

The unit actually has a burner playing on the Stirling, which has a free
wheeling piston with no crank, being the only moving part. The gasses pass
through a heat exchanger, Another supplementary burner is used to boost to
hot water output.

On existing poorly insulated homes the Stirling boiler is feasible. Any
excess electricity produced passes to the grid via a two-way meter.

---