Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Wood species to use in project

On 12 Dec 2005 12:12:21 -0800, wrote:

Hi all,
I'm looking to build a room divider 6 feet high by 18 inches wide,
using 1 inch by 1 inch wood. The plan is to paint the frame white, and
fill in the frame with wallpaper. Can anyone recommend a good wood
species that will stay true and not warp over time?

Well, when I built mine, I used copper pipe and canvas, but if
you're going more traditional japanese...

It's more important to pick out individual sticks that
are straight-grained and knot and check-free than to
use any particular type of wood. Even pine would
work, except that you'd probably need some sort of
bracing at the corners. If you want to avoid that,
I'd use poplar, or if you're willing to spend a
little more, maple. But *NOT* the figured maple
that people spend so much money of for panels!

Other people were commenting on what wood takes
nails better. On this scale construction,
don't use nails at all. Either use tennons
and peg it, or pre-drill and use wood screws.

Are you sure you don't want to use silk or printed
cotton muslin, instead of wallpaper? How are you
planning to attach the membrane anyway?

--Goedjn