Don Stauffer

Default Help finding tiny brass screw, please?

Yes, the nomenclature goes like this. First is the diameter of the
screw. Like for wire gauge, rather than physical size in fractions of
an inch, for example, there are numbers. The higher the number, the
smaller the diameter. A few numbers do correspond to reasonable
fractions, i.e, #10 is about 3/16 of an inch. You need a screw chart to
figure out actual diameter.

Next value is threads per inch. There are two very popular screw
series, National Fine and National Coarse. The fine thread series is
sometimes called SAE, because they are popular in automobiles.

Last number is length of screw in inches.

Another necessary part of a screw nomenclature is the head type.

It used to be you needed expensive handbooks that had the necessary
charts. There are now some on the internet. I don't have addresses,
though. I just downloaded it and printed it for my wall in shop. These
charts identify the correct drill size to drill if you will be threading
the hole, and the right drill for the screw to go in without threads
(clearance size).

If you plan to use such screws, you should get ahold of one of those
charts. Anyone have a URL for one of those web sites?

Jeepers wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

A company called Micro Fasteners specializes in small screws. I think
they have a web site, do a search on the name.

Will do.

How does one name these small screws? I mean there appears to be a
system for them ie:
0-80 x 9/16
or
4-40x7/8