Posted to alt.home.repair
F.H.

Default Making a Redwood Fence Last

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"F.H." wrote in message
news:jmonf.15307$hB6.2557@trnddc05...

Any secrets out there? All I have been told so far is to treat the wood
with Thompson's sealer. Like to have it keep that Redwood look for as
long as possible. TIA

Frank

Thompson's is about the worst product I could recommend for repelling water.
I've never had any luck with it and have just written it off my list of
possibilities when it comes to preserving wood. The gray comes from
exposure to UV light. Whatever you put on it, will have to have UV
blockers in it to prevent the gray. Staining works pretty well as the
pigments in stain also serve, to some degree, as UV blockers. I'd look for
a good deck or outdoor treatment that has UV blockers in it. That said,
the best stuff I've used is Penofin. Unfortunately, there is no clear
Penofin although their Cedar color is pretty close.
Cheers,
cc

Thanks much. Luckily I only *bought* the Thompson's but inquired here
prior to using it.

Frank