Posted to misc.consumers.house
chaz

Default Home SALES values -vs- ASSESSED values?

"doubter" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:04:09 -0500, "chaz" wrote:

I will be listing my home for sale early 06. I have done a lot of research
at the county courthouse for similar homes in my area and have found that
the "assessed" value and the "sale" values are very far apart, some as
much
as double. Can someone put me onto a reference on how to make sense of all
the data I have acquired?

chaz

If the purpose of getting assessed values was to help you price your home
for sale you have wasted your time. Assessed values are for taxation
purposes only and for a variety of reasons have little or no relationship
to the current market value of a property. Actual methods of determining
the assessed value vary greatly from state to state and often county to
county. In any case they are of no value in setting an asking price.

As I stated, I have gleaned both the latest sales figures and assessed
values. In comparing them I found that the assessed values were in some
cases WAY off what the local sales have reflected.

thanks