Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Wood species to use in project

In article . net, "PipeDown" wrote:
Since you are painting it, you don't need to be picky about appearance.
Almost any wood that had been Kiln Dried should be OK to use.

Incorrect. Construction-grade 2x4s are kiln dried, too. Trouble is, the
moisture content standards are different for construction-grade softwoods and
furniture-grade hardwoods. A 2x4 marked "kiln dried" absolutely is unsuitable
for the OP's described purpose.

Maybe you can
find something in the Molding isle at the hardware store or lumber yard.

Maybe...

You could also rip the pieces off of some Shelfing stock.

Doubtful, as most shelving stock is not a full one inch thick.

Poplar would probably be a good choice but most woods are stable once
completely dried, especially once sealed with paint. Red Oak would also
work well,

You've gotta be kidding. Red oak is a very poor choice for anything that's
going to be painted, unless you don't mind that coarse grain showing through
umpteen zillion coats of paint.

as it is harder than poplar and may be stronger considering 1x1
construction (which I question but will ignore that since I can't look at
your actual idea). Less likly to split from the fastners or crack along the
grain.

Doubtful again. I'd rather be driving nails into poplar than oak, especially
if I wanted to avoid splitting it.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,
I'm looking to build a room divider 6 feet high by 18 inches wide,
using 1 inch by 1 inch wood. The plan is to paint the frame white, and
fill in the frame with wallpaper. Can anyone recommend a good wood
species that will stay true and not warp over time?
Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Regards,