Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dev Null

Default Milling rare earth magnet or other magnets?

"Eddie" wrote in
ink.net:

Hello,
My skills as a machinist are lacking but I usually get by with
my small mill and lathe by taking light cuts and cracking a book
when I am unsure about cutting speed and feed rates. I would
like to mill and shape a magnet. I will be atempting this on
Clausing 8520 or a light weight metal lathe. Any advice would be
very helpful. What type of endmill would be recomended for this?
What sort of ?

Thanks,
Eddie

Recently I cut some small SmCo and NdBFe magnets with a water
cooled thin diamond blade.

The SmCo chipped pretty bad. The NdBFe didn't chip at all but it's
pretty tough stuff.

No rusting on either one.

Make sure the magnets are held down REALLY well.

For the NdBFe the blade had ~36um (325 mesh) diamonds and the SFPM
was ~12,000. Cut speed was real slow ~0.040"/sec.